Saturday, February 09, 2008
The scene is one set in the early days of the Hacienda; The Durutti Column have just finished their set on a deserted Tuesday evening, Wilson/Steve Coogan is standing at the bar and Vini Reilly comes over looking a little bemused at the lack of an audience. Wilson tries to reassure a nervous Reilly by saying,
- Whatever happens, whatever we achieve here Vini, you just have to remember that the most important thing is that you make wonderful music. -
Have a listen to this and I am sure you will agree.
Monday, January 28, 2008
One of the best things about living in Spain, no sorry I'll start again; the best thing about living in Spain is the food. Lunchtime on Friday was another reminder of this fact - not that I need reminding, it is never far from my thoughts or my stomach - at a local restaurant called Cal Boter.
This is the place where Catalan super chef Sergi Arola started at aged 14; had never noticed it until walking past on my way to the doctor's on Wednesday. Traditional Catalan fare, well cooked and in pleasant surroundings, all for €9,00 (three courses and that flask of wine you can see in the photo all included). As a famous Austrian once said, "I'll be back."
Friday, January 11, 2008
....and Liverpool is European City of Culture. I have to admit I never thought I would see the day, but hats off to my home town. The Guardian is nosing around the 'Pool now that the word 'culture' and the city are permitted to appear in the same sentence, and they have found some things of interest. My favourites include the - GP's look away now - fry-up blog and the 'Liverpool Stories' viog; particularly the short films about my old local cinema The Plaza, and Bootle, close to where I grew up.
Friday, January 04, 2008
Sunday, April 22, 2007
1. PICK OUT A SCAR YOU HAVE, AND EXPLAIN HOW YOU GOT IT
Cut to Art class, circa 1984, my friend Neil threads his pencil through the hole that
they have for no apparent reason at the bottom of Stanley Knives. He begins to twirl the pencil around allowing the blade of the knife to rotate in a fashion that would years later become fashionable in the BBC series 'Robot Wars'. Unfortunately, Neil's grasp of physics was not what it should have been. The knife worked its way up the pencil, and with unerring inevitably, came flying off in my direction and sliced a nice gash on my jawline. Being friends and all, and not wanting to be a 'grass', I stuck some tissue on it, kept out of the teacher's way and now I have a tough looking scar.
2. WHAT IS ON THE WALLS IN YOUR ROOM?
3. WHAT DOES YOUR PHONE LOOK LIKE?
If you mean the phone in the flat then it is a pretty horrible looking thing like this, only black. My mobile looks like this.
4. WHAT MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?
All of it.
5. WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT DESKTOP PICTURE?
6. WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?
7. DO YOU BELIEVE IN GAY MARRIAGE?
I don't see why not.
8. WHAT TIME WERE YOU BORN?
No idea. But I do share a birthday with Cliff Richard.
9. ARE YOUR PARENTS STILL TOGETHER?
10. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?
It was Carl Craig, but now it is drilling and gunshots, typical Spanish Sunday morning fare.
11. DO YOU GET SCARED OF THE DARK?
No, that would make me a Jesse.
12. THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY?
Sting. His continued existence tends to affect me deeply.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOGNE / PERFUME?
Don't wear after-shave (see Q11).
14. WHAT KIND OF HAIR/EYE COLOUR DO YOU LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Brown and brown.
15. DO YOU LIKE PAIN KILLERS?
In the sense that they bring relief from pain (sometimes), yes. In any other sense, no.
16. ARE YOU TOO SHY TO ASK SOMEONE OUT?
Of course, I am not American.
17. FAVE PIZZA TOPPING?
Things from the sea.
18. IF YOU COULD EAT ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
19. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU MADE MAD?
20. IS ANYONE IN LOVE WITH YOU?
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Saturday, March 03, 2007
Surely Weatherall - and former Jesus and Mary Chain bassist Douglas Hart who directed the thing - are too aware of such events for this to be a coincidence. Or am I just reading too much into it?