Sunday, February 18, 2007

Podcast Number 1: 1981

Finally, I am able to present the much promised inaugural Podcast here at 'Trajectory'. If my speech seems a little - how can I put it? - slurred, the reason is that it was recorded rather late at night. I will allow you to draw your own conclusions from that.

I have chosen three songs, partly for reasons of brevity, and partly inspired by the late John Peel's habit of playing 'Three of the Best' by one particular artist on his Radio 1 Show in the 1980's. The three tracks I have picked are not all by the same artist, but they are all from the same year, 1981.

I thought picking songs from the same year would help narrow the choice - otherwise, where do you start? - and it would allow me to repeat the formula in the future and make it a little more interesting in terms of context. Maybe.



So here we are, 1981 - this is the bit where it gets all The Rock and Roll Years - I was 10 years old when the year began and 11 when it ended. A random selection of events in those 12 months saw an attempted coup d'état in Spain; inner city riots in several major cities in England; the death of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands; Bucks Fizz winning the Eurovision Song Contest; a Royal Wedding; France abolishes capital punishment; Egyptian President Anwar Sadat is asassinated and last but not least, Craig David is born.

So, you can listen directly to 1981 here, or subscribe to the feed for this one and future podcasts.

1 comment:

Annie said...

¡Al suelo, coño!

Sorry, don't know what came over me there. Hurray! Looking forward to it...